Stress is the way you feel when you are under abnormal pressure. Excessive or prolonged stress can lead to illness and physical and emotional exhaustion.
All sorts of situations can cause stress. The most common involve work, money matters and relationships with partners, children or other family members. Stress can be caused either by major upheavals such as divorce, unemployment, moving house and bereavement or by a series of minor irritations such as feeling undervalued at work or dealing with difficult children. Sometimes there are no obvious causes.
Signs & Symptoms
- quick breathing
- various aches and pains.
- Take time out when you start feeling upset or angry.
- Relax your muscles and calm yourself down with deep, slow breathing.
- Sort out those stressors that are within your control.
- Cut down on smoking and drinking.
- Exercise is very effective in relieving stress.
- Take time to relax.
- Bring some fun into your life.
Treatments for stress include self-help techniques, counselling, cognitive behaviour therapy, anger management and support groups.